My PCOS Journey Part 2

After finding out I had PCOS the first thing I obviously had done was gave DR Google a visit. I remember how much I used google to try and understand this condition better. What I had found out was that sometimes it just goes away but most times it doesn’t. I also learned that there is no treatment for PCOS and the only thing you can do is live a better lifestyle which would help to minimize the symptoms.

There are so many symptoms that you experience with this condition but the one I struggled the most with was the weight gain. I could never understand why I was gaining so much weight and how difficult it was to lose it.

The one thing I am grateful for is the fact that PCOS has become an open topic. When I was diagnosed no one knew what it was or what I was talking about. I feel like the older generation just used to accept things when they happen and not speak about it. I’m thankful that times have changed. I would not be able to have gone through this on my own.

After speaking openly about PCOS I found that it really helped me. It made me realize that I’m not alone and there are so many other women out there who are going through the same situation but are just not speaking about it.

My journey has however been an on and off one. When I get in the swing of things, suddenly something happens, and I go into a phase where I just don’t care about what I eat or do. It’s hard because in your mind you can’t understand why other women have it so easy and you are struggling.

Eventually I just stopped thinking about it and came to terms with the fact that I had PCOS. I had it in my mind that trying to conceive was going to be a long journey and I was not ready to think about it just yet.

Funny thing is that 2 months after my gynae appointment (at this time we weren’t really trying to have a baby, because I was just getting over being diagnosed with PCOS) I had a bad reaction to eating a packet of 2min noodles. My lips and eyes started swelling up and I had no idea what was happening. I called my husband, and we went straight to the DR. He told me I had a fever and asked if I was pregnant before subscribing any medication to me.

I told him I highly doubt it but said I would take a test anyway, only to find out that I was in fact pregnant.  The emotions and feelings I felt was overwhelming. I couldn’t believe I was pregnant. I thought the process was going to be a long one and we were going to have to wait.

Fast forward to my first gynae appointment everything was so breezy. Baby was 6 weeks, but we couldn’t hear the heartbeat yet because it was too soon. We then got our next appointment and was told that I would need to come back at the 9-week mark. The 9th week mark had arrived, and we were so excited to hear baby’s heartbeat.

While doing the scan to find baby’s heartbeat I just knew something wasn’t right. She then broke the news to us saying that baby’s heartbeat had stopped. The fetus was 6 weeks old and there was no heartbeat. I was broken! I didn’t know what to say. I got informed about the various ways to go about having a miscarriage and decided I would do the D&C procedure. It was scheduled immediately for the next day and it was all over before it even began.

To be continued…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *